Tuesday, May 27, 2014

When the sequal is actually better than the original

For my second book this tri, I decided to YOLO it and go with Insurgent. Y'know, that book that everyone has read at least once. It was amazing to me personally, and I liked it better than Divergent, which was a great book in itself (Alliegent though. yuck.). So I thought I'd do a quick run down between the two books.


Divergent:

  • Unique plot, really makes you think about the personality aspect of it all
  • Great diction/syntax, like all pretty great books do
  • Cheesy love story (gotta love those)
  • Lots of death. LOTS of it. Kinda sad actually.
Insurgent:

  • Really builds off of Divergent, very smooth transition
  • Adds a touch of realism with the betrayal of Caleb and all
  • The love story feels a little more real in this one to me than in Divergent
  • The death isn't emphasized, focuses more on the plot of escaping Erudite and planning that revolution.
This kinda made me realize how long it's been since I've read Divergent. Dang. I need to go back and read that. 

But from where I've started off again, the feels are real. Listen to Caleb here for a sec.
"'Tris,' he says, 'I'm your brother. You can tell me anything.'" (Roth 35)
UH HUH. YEAH RIGHT. YOU LITTLE BACKSTABBER D:

No comments:

Post a Comment