Thursday, May 1, 2014

Coming to terms with identity

So Dave, the guy obsessed with protecting his friends, says, “I’m not a hero. Bro was. John is. But I’m not.” ....What just happened!?

What a loaded quote. As I was reading, this stuck in my head. When coming in terms with Bro’s death, it was the first time we as readers actually saw his personality.  We are all somewhat insecure in some way, but Dave hid behind a cool persona the whole time. But just blatenly admitting it like that, to an alien troll girl who's obsessed with tastes and justice.

Then again, there are a lot weirder things that happen.

But overview aside, I’m actually kind of shocked Dave said this. I mean I can relate a lot with him wanting to be something more than I am at the current moment, so I know it’s a hard thing to come to terms with. And he came to terms right when he own guardian, his own dad figure died. If anything, I would of felt the need for revenge. To get back at the killer for what they did to them and what they did to me indirectly by killing that person I care about so much. But no, he just realizes he isn’t a hero. In a way, he is giving up part of his aspirations of the game, which I personally find a little upsetting, but still, out of any time, it was when something traumatic happened when he came to terms with his real identity. I think this is a pivotal moment for Dave as a character, as he just starts playing as himself for real starting now, and that realist outlook ends up saving his butt along with everyone else later.

Though he couldn’t take the sword out of his Bro’s body at least. Someone who would of gone up all smiles and removed it I’d consider clinically insane.

Just,no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment