Wednesday, May 7, 2014

An Epic's Epilogue

Only 3 words I have for Homestuck right now; that was amazing.

Is getting 13000 points at Lazer Kraze amazing? Yes. Is acing exams amazing? You bet. But nothing can beat reading a comic this big again and picking up on details you missed.
I repeat, nothing. Nothing can beat this.
The first time I read this, I'll admit, I probably skipped half of it. Reason being is the text shows up in a "chat" log format that's hard to read at times. What if all of your texts were words to a book? Wouldn't that be a little hard to read as well?  But this time I actually sat down and read it through like I should of the first time and I can safely say my love for the story as a whole has come flooding back like a huge nostalgia wave.
How real the characters act is another thing I absolutely love. In other books the characters aren't easy to relate to. Take for example, Tris from Divergent. She's definitely a bold one, and we can appreciate her, but personally for me some of the things she did without really questioning them ahead of time seems kind of unrealistic. Like how she jumped down a pit for Dauntless when she first chose them. I don't think 99% of the population would go ahead and jump off a cliff like that to prove something. Either that or I'm an expert at living under a rock and this is a daily occurrence.
Because jumping off cliffs is totally safe and recommended for kids. Don't you dare read that disclaimer.
But I feel like I can actually relate to the kids in Homestuck. They're only a little younger than us at the very beginning, and where it ends up with the Alpha kids they're only a little older. Understandably, they freak out at first. They're not perfect. They have many, and I repeat, MANY flaws, and I feel like that that's us in today's world. We don't know what to do when faced with problems half the time, that's why we're not grown up adults in the world yet. If we knew everything then we should be out of our parent's hair, and I don't think half of us have taken a step to untangle us from that extremely comfortable nest. But that was these guys too; they were without warning chucked into 4 different planets basically with "save yourself" without any guidance except for little sprites for only a tiny amount of time. It's a surprise their session didn't crash and burn and they made something of it. They didn't get into fights, they didn't buckle under pressure. Two of the kids literally set a bomb at their feet and stayed there, knowing they were going to die. But that's the kind of limits we're pushed to when we're faced with a life or death situation. We go to radical ends, not knowing what it'll turn out as. I feel like Homestuck painted this picture extremely well.
^ Rose and Dave at the bomb before it blew up
Hopefully what I'm trying to say about the bomb is pretty clear in this picture. The tubes and everything are a part of the "doom device", so to speak. Yet they just stand there, looking at the time, literally facing their own inevitable death without flipping out and running away screaming. No, they sit there and count the seconds before they die in a calm manner. Everyone, if you knew you would die and not flip out in response, raise your hands.
....
....
Yeah that's what I thought. We're too human for that, our sense of fight or flight would kick in. Though I think a traumatic experience would affect that instinct. For example, Dave (pictured in the left) has seen many different dead versions of himself. And Rose (pictured in the right) was corrupted by outside forces, not to mention she was killed herself in a strife and had to get revived. After facing death that many times, I think most of us would grow numb to the idea of it, which the smooth transition between the fight and flight instinct and the degradation of it is done extremely well and smoothly.
Also, speaking of morals, there's a lot of moral dilemmas in this. I mean this is a life or death situation, do you kill your own pet to save a stranger's life? What's the ethics of replicating your friends and then sending them on meteors? The author does an extremely good job making the reader contemplate these kind of things and I honestly feel like I've grown as a person because I've read it, 100% this time. When Dave saw his brother killed by Jade's pet, he stated, "I guess it has been on my mind. Maybe I am supposed to be a hero and rise to the occasion because there seems to be this little persistent voice in my head nagging me about it, insisting someone's gotta pay. And it's hard for me to disagree," (Hussie 5603). All of this doom and destruction is going on around Dave, and all he does is sit there and contemplate relatively calmly about what his next course of action should be. Yet he's unsure. His consciousness and his better judgment are conflicting massive time, and he's gotta end up choosing a side. But the fact that we have to deal with our consciousness and our better judgment bickering at each other quite commonly only reflects what we think in our lives. What if we were in their shoes? Is it morally right? Does it have to happen regardless? Maybe I'm that oddball person who thinks way too deeply into things (I wouldn't be surprised with the amount of an oddball I'm already), but at least to me this really reflects back on my way of thinking.
I don't beg often, and yet I'm here on my knees praying for you to give it a chance. Please, PLEASE, go read it. I'll even give you a link right here. I implore you, it will be one of the best decisions you make in life. It starts out kind of slow, and the third intermission is a bit boring, but if you can make it through that then you won't regret it.
Well now that I have that done, do you guys have any recommendations for the next book I should read?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like all of the moral decisions you talked about were situational. Depending on the who what and where, the outcome is likely to be different every time.

    ReplyDelete