Thursday, February 20, 2014

A soundtrack in dedication of "The Fall"

Warning book one spoilers

Wow this series is very hard to put down! It's a six book series, and I've finished book three since I last updated this blog. Sorry about not letting you all know! Regardless, all three books were amazing, but I'll be focusing on "The Fall", as that's the first book in the series, which I've kept you all somewhat updated on. Anyway, onto the point here.

The Fall has a lot of extremely dramatic points. It's a very serious book, with themes of survival and power abuse and slaves. Like I've mentioned earlier, it has that medieval touch to it with the 7 towers and everything. So some music focused on suspence is a must. It doesn't really even have a happy end, ending with Milla, a character that Tal meets mid way through his journey who loathes his guts and wants to kill him instantly. Songs about being misunderstood, therefore, would be a nessesity.

As for specifics, I would want to start with a song that has a bit of a sad tune to it, but it still definately has hope and curiosity. You see, at the beginning of the book, Tal is trying to find his lost dad, take care of his younger sister, and find something called a Primary Sunstone; a jewel that has enough power to bring magical powers to the 7 towers in their entirety. However, Tal has a few enemies, for reasons he doesn't really know, so a tone of innocense would be there. Out of all of these things, the closest things that I can think of that can come to mind is "Tangl'd"'s "When will my life begin". What takes place in this song is that Rapunzel is going around a tower that she's lived in for 18 years, lamenting over her inability to find out what's outside. This song shows complete innocence about the consequences of her actions, and also it shows Rapunzel's desire to find out more. This desire is mirrored in Tal's being at the very beginning, not of nessesairly seeing what was outside, as he firmly believed that horror terrors of many kinds lived out there, and anyone who dared went out into the cold wilderness outside would never be seen again, which is pretty consistant to this point.

The next big plot point is when Tal gets stuck in the Achievement of Music, to get a primary sunstone for his mother, when he was sure he signed up for the Achievement of Body, which is more of an obstacle course. "You're gonna go far kid" I believe truly captures Tal's anger at the government around him and how it treats him unfairly.

Next, when Tal falls off of the tower when trying to get a Primary Sunstone and getting lost in the cold, I would argue that Tal, dispire his lonely feelings, feels somewhat free when he meets actual humans that live outside the tower. He experiences personal freedom, and is liberated from the common misconseptions about outside of the 7 towers. Suddenly, everyone back there who seemed to have power doesn't seem to be that importnat anymore, however, he still feels very alone with the fact that now no one will be able to understand him and he knows full well that stepping back in the castle might result in people searching for him. Because of all of these traits, I would say "Let it go" in Disney's "Frozen" would be a good choice for this song. Not only are both in a very similar setting, which doesn't really mean that much, but the fact that they both kept to themselves for so long, that no one would truly understand them and the fact that

When he finds Milla, who's just about to strangle his throat, I would argue that Tal's probably scared out of his mind, most likely already accepting certain death. So I think a good next song would be "It ends tonight".

Fighting when it was just himself and Milla, I would say he's stronger, but scared none the less. Milla's on the ground hurt, afterall. So I think that a good final song for The Fall would be a reprise of "You're gonna go far kid", bringing back not only the hatred of the government in which he lives in, but the hatred of the animal who would do such a thing to Milla.

No comments:

Post a Comment