Thursday, January 16, 2014

Setting of 7th Tower and comparison to our society

So I went ahead and started 7th Tower, and I'm finding the social casting extremely interesting. You're born into a color casting of sorts, Red being the lowest and Violet being the highest. The higher you are, the better jobs, income, and standard of living you have. However, you all live in the same tower. This gives a clear structure to life, and makes some have great standards of living, while others don't so much. The lower the color casting, the more people in it.

I thought about this, and you can connect this social structure to medieval times. The Peasants would be like the lower colors, and given the more mundane work and  the nobility/kings would be the high colors, with a higher standard of living. They all would have to live near eachother in the same castle/land area. And untold danger is outside of this castle, like how there is danger outside of the tower in the 7th Tower. I found this connection from medieval life to this book extremely interesting. I wonder what other connections there will be from our world to this one?

1 comment:

  1. It seems like there are a lot of books out there revolving around dystopian societies. Do you think this book has a few parallels to books like, maybe, Allegiance, in terms of its tone and what kinds of topics it approaches?

    ReplyDelete