I'd like to take a look at the main character's names so far.
We have John Egbert, of course. Guy I talked about last time, super dorky guy.
Then there's Rose Lalonde, Dave Strider, and Jade Harley. The other main characters.
At first glance, they're all just names, right? Well, maybe. I'm not quite so convinced on that.
For example:
J-o-h-n. Four letters.
R-o-s-e. Four letters.
D-a-v-e.
J-a-d-e.
The pattern's consistant. The number 4 is seeming to reoccur in Homestuck right now.
4/13. The day John and his friends were first being tracked by the story. AKA, when Homestuck began.
There are 4 kids in the session.
There are 4 guardians, and 4 ansestors.
Also, I believe 2 is somewhat of a reoccuring instance in this. There's the Dream Worlds in which the four kids sleep in. There are only two: Prospit and Derse. There are two females and two males playing at the current moment in time. Two people are on each side, and there must be two kinds of people in a Sburb session (Time and Space players, I'll explain God Tiers next post) and diolouge can only happen in the chat client, Pesterchum, with two people at the same time. Also, their codes on there that are their "username" of sorts shortened always shorten into two letters, and the username itself is a mashup of two words put together. Always.
So that being said, the numbers 2 and 4 are pretty reoccuring. Now this could have a few meanings. First, I'd like to point out how both numbers are relatively low. It's not some astronomical high number. The second thing that I'd like to notice is both numbers are even. If split, it's fair to both sides.
Now what the game "Sburb" is about... it's supposed to see if kids could fight and prove themselves as able-minded and able-bodied people of their society. If they fit those conformities, dispite their extremely different personalities, backgrounds. In a way, the whole game is a metaphor to our life, except heavily dramaticized with death and destruction. It's supposed to see if the players can handle loss, realize what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, forgive and forget (but always keep an eye open). The various tid bits that would help us in our world, that maybe we don't all 100% get. So the fact that the numbers are even, might hint at a lesson of fairness. "Life is not fair," is something we all know, but maybe Homestuck is hinting at something more than just keeping it at that. The kids did have a lot of things thrown in their faces, been extremely unlucky. Life hasn't been fair to them in the slightest. While this is all speculation on the theme at this point, as I haven't read it 100% in a while, it could very well be something along the lines of "make with what you have, even if life isn't fair." For starters, the important numbers that I just pointed out are small. Maybe that's a foreshadow that they don't really have that much at the beginning, even though they have Earth in tact in all, maybe they don't fully appreciate what they do have, dimishing the value. But since it's even, you can still be fair splitting up those numbers, making me think that maybe it's saying that the kids should be fair, even if life isn't. So that's why I'm thinking maybe a potential theme to Homestuck is to be fair, make with what you have as much as you can, no matter what. Even if the cards are against you.
Ok, I could've sworn I commented on this before. Ugh. There goes another half point on my chart. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteI love finding little things like that in books, mysterious themes that keep popping up, and are never explained.