So I've made it to the end of Allegiance over winter break, and I can't say I'm happy with the ending. At all. When Tris was killed, she didn't even try to get back up. She'd been though so much, and it wasn't like her at all to just give up.
I would discribe Tris as an extremely independent person, who goes by her own flow, and isn't afraid to stand for what she believed in. Yeah, all of the death around her was painful, but she always overcame. She didn't take "no" for an answer, as she's very headstrong. So the fact that she just decides to not even get revenge for getting sucker shot, and just "I FELL INTO MY MOM'S ARMS WHOOP-DIE-DO!" And she just left Tobias behind. She just left him there to hold her dead body! Did she not even care about him? She made very clear signs that she did, so when she didn't even try to come back to life, it made me question that. Knowing the fact that she didn't take "no" for an answer, she would always fight to the end, she just..gave up! Either her character changed in a heartbeat or that was written completely out of character. If it's the former.. I can't say I like Tris anymore. She'd be a pushover, and that's almost devolving as a character.
Overall, the book was great, but the end just.. WHY. It's probably the worst ending I've read, no joke. Worse than Mocking Jay, and that's saying something. But that's for another time.
So now that I'm done with that, any book reccomendations? I'm thinking of reading the 7th Tower Series, but I'm open for other suggestions. I typically like Science Fiction and Fantasy if that helps anyone.
It is very interesting that you are able to pick a certain genre that you like based on prior experience.
ReplyDeleteOh man. I have heard so much hate for this ending, I can't blame you for getting annoyed by the fact that a character mysteriously breaks their usual habits at the worst time. (pssst. Try Watership Down by Richard Adams or A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the ending, and I mean that. I don't blame you for disliking and ending that sounds so random in concept, especially when the main protagonist goes so far out of character, but it's just plain terrible to read through an entire 200-300 pages of a book and be disappointed by the ending. Everybody says that it's about the journey, not the destination, but with a destination like this, the journey can be hard to enjoy when you think back to it.
ReplyDelete